Last post, I gave you a recipe for a youth-inducing serum.
This time, we're going to add some active ingredients to the Fountain of Youth Serum to bump up it's healthful qualities and increase your skin's ability to maintain its youthfulness...and maybe even take a few years off.
First, use the recommended quantities. Period. Click on the links to purchase the individual ingredients.
To 1-2 tablespoons of plain vegetable glycerin, add
- pinch Ellagic Acid - antioxidant, cancer preventive, anti-inflammatory, helps improve discoloration
- pinch Ferulic Acid - cancer preventive, protects the skin against UVB-induced erythema, skin lightener, increases stability of vitamins C (MAP) and E
- 1/8 teaspoon of Coenzyme Q10 - topical application restores mitochondrial activity, increasing energy production plus minimizing energy needed to make new collagen; antiaging, antioxidant, stimulating active, it will push your skin into "high gear"
Next, to the Fountain of Youth serum, add:
- 1/8 teaspoon Alpha Lipoic Acid** - (aka ALA) essential for youthful cell function; our bodies' own production dimishes as we age
- pinch Beta Glucan - anti-aging, cancer-preventive
- pinch Carnosine - accelerates and improves healing. Prevents wrinkles and loss of elasticity brought about by aging and exposure to sunlight, .also an antioxidant and seems to improve immune response
- 1/8 teaspoon DMAE** - antioxidant, increases firmness and overall appearance of aging skin
- pinch Green Tea ECGC - antioxidant, repair of damage done by UVA radiation, cancer preventive
- 1/4 teaspoon Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate - (aka MAP) the "real" ester-C, a stable and soluble form of ascorbic acid, stimulates collagen synthesis, anti-aging, anti-oxidant, anti-acne, skin brightening, decrease appearance of sun spots
- 1/8 teaspoon Niacin - relieves itching, controls sebum products, skin lightening effects
Some of the actives may never dissolve completely, but they will release their active ingredients continuously. If the undissolved 'grit' bothers you, strain your serum using CLEAN muslin, cheese cloth, nylon or any fine-sieve strainer.
DIRECTIONS: Use this super-active serum once or twice a day, after cleansing your skin, before you apply your moisturizer and sunscreen, and after 30 days, you will see smoother, brighter, clearer, younger-looking skin.
If you experience ANY irritation...
- either your skin doesn't like one (or more) of the ingredients--in which case you should stop using it altogether and toss it
- OR your mix is too concentrated--dilute it with some distilled water until your skin can tolerate it
- OR your skin is simply adjusting to one or more of the ingredients--use your serum only once a day when you are not using any other products and if the irritation doesn't subside after 3-4 days, stop using it and toss it
BONUS: You'll have LOTS of the active ingredients leftover, which you can add to most any moisturizer (NOT sunscreen, NOT already-active cream...plain Eucerin, Olay, et al are okay) to make your own super-active skincare cream--way better than the high-dollar stuff at the department stores. Whether you use your mix on your face or body--or both--is completely up to you. But keep in mind with all these actives: A LITTLE BIT GOES A LONG WAY.
**Many people experience mild stinging with Alpha Lipoic Acid and DMAE, especially when they first start using them. However, if the stinging is intense or if you experience ANY redness and irritation, OR if the stinging occurs for more than a few days, STOP USING THIS SERUM.
NOTE: If you have rosacea or sensitive skin, or if you want to avoid the irritation issue, DO NOT USE Alpha Lipoic Acid or DMAE.
AS ALWAYS: When mixing, take extra precautions to wash your hands and be sure to use sterilized mixing, measuring, straining implements and containers.