12/20/2006

Get the Look...Fabulous Eyes for New Years

This past year, Christina Aguilera has really come into her own. Her voice is unquestionably one of the best in the biz, but her "look" has suffered some questionable periods over the years. Well she has so completely redeemed herself...and I decided to recreate this look--especially the "forties fabulous" eye.

I started by using Paula Dorf 2 + 1 for Brows Red (I'm a brunette, but I find that most brow powders designed for brunettes are way too stark and heavy-looking). Using a stiff, angled brow brush, I brushed just a little of the lighter, taupe powder into my eyebrows. Just enough to fill in any "empty" spots and add shape. Then I used my brow brush to remove any excess. Use the clear wax included in kit to set the color and keep everything in place.

Next, liner. Liquid liner. Black liquid liner. Now, don't be scared. You can do this. The absolute best liquid liner I've found is Blinc Kiss Me Liquid Eyeliner. It goes on lickety split and if you make any "oopsies," it doesn't dry so fast that they can't be fixed with the pointed edge of a cosmetic q-tip. Only line the top lid (lining the bottom is fine, but it's not for this look) and take the line just past the lash line to give it more of a "kitty cat eye". Beautiful! And if you don't get it right, this is truly one of those applications where practice makes perfect. $24

Next up: eye shadow. I used the lightest shade of my Amuse Muse4 Palette on my brow bone and on my lid, pressed on with a broad, flat shadow brush. In the crease, I very lightly brushed the coppery-brown shade from the same palette. Blend, blend, blend. Then, on a small shadow brush or on the tip of your finger (I prefer to use my pinkie finger because of the control it gives me), I use a dab more of the lightest shade on the inner corners of my eyes. The shimmer is just lovely. $18 mirrored palette includes 6 shadows, 2 blushes and applicators

Lastly...lashes. THE most important step in the application is the lashes. First, you must prime! Again, I will always use Blinc Lash Primer(I'm a contact lens wearer so it's my best option!). One coat or two (or three or four), depending on the amount of "plump" you want. (Added benefit: Blinc Lash Primer conditions your lashes while you wear it!). $16

Follow the primer with two coats of Blinc Kiss Me Mascara. I used black. Is there really any other color? Okay, sure there is, but for this look, black is best. One note: don't let Blinc Mascara dry between coats or you'll get some clumpies...yuk. $24

Last step: Curl your lashes. I know, I know. All the pro's out there are screaming, but with Blinc you CAN curl your lashes AFTER you apply your mascara. I do it all the time and I get a better curl and a better mascara application! So pull out your little electric eyelash curler or your old-fashioned eyelash-press curler, but you gotta curl, curl, curl.

Voila! Fabulous eyes.

Christina's photo courtesy of Entertainment for You (EFU)