11/29/2006

The Essence of Winter...and the Holidays

What is the essence of winter, you ask? I'm sure it's something different for everyone. A cozy blanket, a roaring fire in the fireplace, a mug of hot cocoa, a walk in the snow with someone you love, baking cookies with your Grandmother...all bring up wonderful visions of winter. They also share something: scent (okay, maybe not the blanket, unless it's right outta the dryer and smells of Downey...mmmmmm).

As I'm sure you all know, scent is the most powerful sense linked to memory, and one whiff of a particular scent can take you right back to a vivid memory--for example, Estee Lauder's White Linen always reminds me of my sister, when she was in junior high school (and I was in elementary)...and that reminds me of crisp polo shirts, satin hair ribbons, Bass penny loafers, add-a-bead necklaces and my first cassette tape (Missing Persons "Spring Session M," which I got for Christmas some years later...when I was in junior high).

Last Holiday season, I visited my salon for my quarterly brow grooming (don't freak--I pluck in between sessions). While I was waiting, I browsed the selection of Holiday product arrivals. A collection of soy candles, er'go caught my eye (and then my nose), and I couldn't stop sniffing. One in particular, entitled Winter Wreath, kept stirring some deep, childhood memory that I couldn't quite put my finger on. But I knew it was somehow comforting and good....

Meanwhile, I was summoned for my brow-job. Thirty relaxing, bliss-filled minutes later (if you're brow artist doesn't make you feel this good, there is something wrong with her--I'm serious...my brow lady's hands are so tender, you would never know she was ripping hair out of your head), I headed directly back to that er'go candle. And it finally dawned on me what it reminded me of. When I was five years old, I had a Holiday Winnie the Pooh Scratch 'n Sniff book, and one of the scratchies smelled exactly like this candle! Well, I scooped up two Winter Wreath candles right there and went on my merry (Merry Christmas to me!) way.

Bonus Alert: To give you an idea how long er'go's soy candles last, I still have at least 1/2 of one of the ones I bought last year and it still smells just like the day I bought it. You might think that $20 is expensive for a candle...but I'd say, "Nah...this is the essense of winter and that...well that's just priceless."

You can purchase er'go candles directly from their website, but I recommend finding a retailer in your area (which you can also find on their website) because you have to smell--I daresay, experience--er'go for yourself. www.ergocandle.com